The MOTC’s Department of Statistics is responsible for collecting, analyzing and communicating data on Taiwan’s transportation and communications sectors.
The responsibilities for the Department’s three divisions are as follows:
·The 1st Division (Survey Statistics)
The 1st Division focuses on survey statistics, with its detailed activities including the following:
1. Conducting surveys of various topics as the following, also releasing surveys’ reports.
(1) Employees’ Earning of Transportation and Storage Sector
(2) Motor Vehicle Freight Traffic
(3)Opinion on the services as well as policies of the MOTC
(4)National Travel Survey
(5)Business Operation Survey of Amusement and Theme Parks
(7)Tour Bus Service
(8)Rental Car Service
(9)Small Private Passenger Cars Usage
(10) Motorcycle Usage
2. Developing and maintaining the computer programs for survey projects.
3. Establishing and maintaining the population database of all transportation and communications sectors.
4. Calculating price indices for the transportation and communications sectors.
5. Researching and establishing statistical systems of the transportation and communications sectors.
6. Managing the web pages of the Department of Statistics.
7. Managing the statistical survey projects of the departments as well as subordinate agencies of the MOTC through examination of project execution plans.
8. Supervising the opinion polls conducted by the departments and subordinate agencies of the MOTC.
·The 2nd Division
The 2nd Division focuses on official statistics within the transportation and communications sectors, including the following activities:
1. Editing the statistical abstract and monthly statistics.
2. Editing the major statistical indicators.
3. Editing a handbook comparing transportation and communications statistics among major countries.
4. Collecting, arranging, analyzing and publishing official statistical data on transportation and communications sectors.
5. Studying, establishing and implementing the Register Statistics Formulae and table programs of transportation and communications sectors.
6. Studying and editing statistical definitions and classifications of transportation and communications sectors.
7. Establishing, expanding and maintaining a statistical database and statistics inquiry system .
8. Editing and calculating freight and insurance cost statistics of import and export cargoes.
9. Editing selected management and service performance indicators.
10. Collecting and structuring gender-specific data on the transportation and communications sectors.
11. Collecting, compiling, studying and exchanging international statistical data.
12. Demarcating, instructing and managing statistical businesses in the MOTC and all subordinate statistics agencies.
13. Editing and publishing the report “ An introduction to the Transportation and Communications in the R.O.C.”
14. Making and presenting a multi-media briefing on transportation and communications sectors.
·The 3rd Division
The 3rd Division supports the administration of policy and planning, and its activities include the following:
1. Conducting production value survey on tourism, transportation and storage industries.
2. Conducting commodity flow and freight rates survey(domestic aviation and water transportation ) by goods classes.
3. Editing the facility and manpower report of transportation and communications industries.
4. Editing and drafting the reviewing year policy plan and budget.
5. Conducting a seminar on the statistical business of the MOTC.
6. Handling statistics personnel cases of statistical staffers in the MOTC and all subordinate agencies.
7. Handling appointment, dismissal and transfer of statistical staffers in the MOTC and all subordinate agencies.
8. Handling performance appraisal, rewards, punishments, advanced studies, training, retirement, and severance of statistical staffers in the MOTC and all subordinate agencies.